Car Accident FAQ

The aftermath of a car accident can be extremely stressful, especially if you're coping with serious injuries, lack of transportation and financial matters resulting from the crash.

At Kenneth G. Macleay Law Firm, our goal is to alleviate your burdens by answering your questions, preparing a strong case on your behalf and fighting to get you the full financial recovery you need and deserve.

For a free consultation with a skilled and dedicated trial attorney, call us in Upper Marlboro at 240-545-5557 or complete our contact form. We represent car accident victims throughout southern Maryland.

Should I Give A Recorded Statement To The Insurance Company?

No — not until you've spoken with us first. The insurance adjuster's questions are designed to elicit answers that effectively minimize the amount of compensation you receive. A seemingly innocent comment could actually be used against you. When we represent you, we handle all communications with the insurance company as we negotiate for the maximum available compensation for your injuries. You can focus on your health and family — let us do the rest.

What Are The Top 5 Things I Should Do After A Car Accident?

To maximize your compensation after a car accident, there are some important steps you can take:

  1. Call for help and report the accident. When police arrive on the scene, they can make an accident report, which can in turn be used to prove the other driver's negligence. The police dispatcher can also send medical personnel to care for any injuries on the scene.
  2. Get prompt medical treatment. Even if you believe your injuries are not serious, it is important to get evaluated by a doctor as soon as possible. In many cases, what initially appear to be minor injuries grow significantly worse in the days and weeks after a crash. A doctor can diagnose your condition and order appropriate treatment. If your injuries are obviously serious, you may need immediate care from first responders. In any case, getting medical treatment starts an official record of your injuries, and that medical record is needed for a successful personal injury claim.
  3. Get the other driver's information and document the scene. Be sure to get the other driver's full name and contact information, insurance company and policy number, driver's license number, license plate number, and the make, model and color of the other driver's vehicle. If you can and if it is safe to do so, take pictures of the accident scene. Also, if any of your injuries are visible, take pictures of them. If there were witnesses to the crash, get their contact information. If your injuries prevent you from doing these things, see if someone else can — perhaps a passenger, family member or police officer.
  4. Contact Kenneth G. Macleay Law Firm before you talk to the insurance company. The insurance company is not on your side. We are. A personal injury lawyer at Kenneth G. Macleay Law Firm can handle all the insurance matters and work to maximize your financial recovery.
  5. Continue medical treatment until it is finished. Going back to the doctor multiple times can certainly become tiring, but stopping medical treatment prematurely can be very bad for your personal injury claim. So-called "gaps" in medical care are among the most common reasons given by insurance companies to deny compensation to victims. If you stop following your doctor's orders, the insurance company will likely claim that your injury is not as bad as it really is, and that could significantly reduce your medical and financial recovery.

What Kinds Of Damages Are Available After Car Accidents In Maryland?

Every case is different, but depending on the facts of your case, you may be entitled to economic and non-economic damages after a car accident.

Economic damages include:

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Vehicle repairs or replacement

Non-economic damages include:

  • Physical pain
  • Mental anguish
  • Loss of companionship or affection

To understand the factors affecting the types of damages you can recover, it's best to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney at Kenneth G. Macleay Law Firm.

What If I Was Partially At Fault For The Crash?

Generally, in Maryland, if you are found to be even partially at fault for the accident, you are not entitled to recover damages from the other driver. This rule is known as "contributory negligence" in Maryland. However, proving fault in a crash is not always a simple matter, and you should speak with a personal injury lawyer if you believe that fault has been wrongly assigned to you.

Also, many insurance policies include "Personal Injury Protection" — also known as PIP — which covers particular damages after an accident, regardless of who was at fault. To ensure that you receive all the insurance coverage and compensation to which you are entitled, contact Kenneth G. Macleay Law Firm as soon as possible.

What If I Was Injured In A Crash While On The Job?

If you suffered injuries in a work-related motor vehicle accident, you may be entitled to multiple kinds of compensation, including workers' compensation benefits. You may also have grounds for a personal injury claim if the crash was caused by a third party — not you or your employer. If you have questions regarding your rights after a crash on the job, we can explain your options and develop an effective strategy for maximizing your compensation and benefits.

Get A Free Consultation | Contact Us

To arrange a free consultation with a skilled and dedicated trial attorney, call Kenneth G. Macleay Law Firm in Upper Marlboro at 240-545-5557 or complete our online contact form. Our firm represents motor vehicle accident victims throughout Prince George's County, Anne Arundel County, Baltimore and all of southern Maryland.